The minutes can be downloaded here or read below MN_2021_July 06 BPC Approved Minutes
APPROVED Minutes of the Monthly Meeting of Blackawton Parish Council held on Tuesday 6 July 2021 at 7:30 p.m. in Blackawton Village Hall
- Extent of Dog Fouling on Roads in the Village
The Clerk was asked to write an article for the Beacon and to provide the SHDC Dog Warden details.
- West Dart Bus
Problems were raised with the parking of vehicles in the village at School pick up and drop off time and supervision of children when the Bus is reversing on School Lane.
Present: Cllrs Rake (Chair), Mewes (Vice-Chair), Perry, Mallyon and Coe were present as were South Hams District Cllr Reeve, and A Thom (Clerk).
Apologies for absence were received from Cllr Thomas.
111/21 Declarations of Interest
Cllr Mewes declared a disclosable pecuniary interest in planning application 1939/21/HHO.
Cllr Coe declared a personal interest in planning application 2002/21/HHO.
112/21 Minutes of Previous Meetings
The minutes of the Meetings held 4 May and 8 June 2021 were approved.
113/21 Report from South Hams District Council Councillor
Cllr Reeve said that there has been a reduction in missed recycling reports. SHDC continues to challenge FCC in weekly meetings, and is planning for an influx of visitors.
There is a survey on local shared electric car club and electric bikes.
The delivery of the waste service to holiday rental business properties needs further investigation.
114/21 Report from Devon County Council Councillor
Deferred pending the arrival of Cllr Brazil.
115/21 Planning Issues
115/21.1 SHDC Planning Decisions
The following decisions were noted:
- 0657/21/ARC Blacksmiths Cottage Land adjoining Woodcott Woodcott TQ9 7AA. Application for approval of details reserved by conditions 3, 4, 5, 6,10, 11 of planning permission 0263/19/FUL. Discharge of condition Approved.
- 0847/21/FUL The Old Dairy North Millcombe Farm Blackawton TQ9 7AE. Replacement Dwelling Following Class Q Consent and Full Consent to Extend Curtilage. Conditional Approval.
115/21.2 Review of New Applications
- 2002/21/HHO Priory Cottage Main Street Blackawton TQ9 7BG. Householder application for proposed attic conversion with extension and new pitched gable.
Cllr Coe left room
Support (resolution proposed Cllr Perry, seconded Cllr Mallyon).
Cllr Coe returned to the meeting. Cllr Mewes left the room.
- 1939/21/HHO The Cottage, Higher Cotterbury Blackawton TQ9 7DA. Householder application for alteration of existing garden store, including installation of two windows, floor replacement, internal division and linings to serve new use as ancillary bedroom annexe with ensuite shower room/wc.
Support (resolution proposed Cllr Mallyon, seconded Cllr Coe).
Cllr Mewes returned to the room.
- 3574/20/FUL Halwell Business Park Halwell TQ9 7LQ. READVERTISEMENT (Revised plans received) Provision of new industrial warehouse building (Class E (former B1 only), B2 and B8 use). Neighbouring parish consultee.
- 2416/21/AGR : Land at SX 806 521 adjacent to Valley View Blackawton TQ9 7DH. Application for prior notification of proposed agricultural barn. For information.
- Boundary Commission Consultation – To consider supporting a proposal to the 2023 review for the constituency name to be changed from Totnes to South Devon. Closes 2 August.
117/21 Landscape Maintenance Contract for St Michael’s Churchyard and Blackawton Cemetery
The specifications for the work were altered to create two maintenance zones in each site – a higher maintenance zone and a lower maintenance biodiversity zone, to allow the contractor to determine the most appropriate tools for carrying out the work, and that winter cuts will be requested by BPC as needed. The effect of the change in management of the sites will be monitored by BPC – including public safety. Feedback from residents is welcomed. The contract will run to 31 December 2022 with optional annual extension for two further years. The contract document was approved.
118/21 Churchyard Wall Preventive Maintenance Removal of Vegetation
The meeting noted that this agreement specifies use of hand tools. The vegetation is now under better control. The meeting resolved to allow the contractor to determine the most appropriate tools for carrying out the work. It was suggested the first cut be timed early in the spring before flowering. The next meeting of BPC will consider details of which vegetation to remove.
119/21 French Furze Project
BPC joined a site meeting with representatives from SHDC and DCC. SHDC does not check the site during construction. There may be a retrospective planning application for the height of the MUGA and its bank. There has been no observable progress in the construction of the business units. The drainage system needs to be completed before it can be assessed for adequacy.
120/21.1 Update on Current Financial Position
The report showed a total balance of £58,920, unearmarked reserves of £13,907.24 and reconciled.
120/21.2 Payments Made, Due and Received
The following payments were approved:
- Maintenance Contractor Invoice – including first churchyard wall preventive maintenance vegetation cut and bus shelter cleans, £720
- Essential Law for Cemetery and Crematorium Managers: An ICCM Publication Paperback – 3 Jun. 2021, £32.40
120/21.3 Approval of Clerk Expenses Reimbursement Claim CE23
It was resolved to approve the reimbursement of £96.44.
120/21.4 Overtime Claim
The Clerk’s claim for 10 hours overtime was approved.
120/21.5 Bank Mandate
It was resolved to update the mandate to remove Cllr Wilson.
121/21 Village Hall Hire Agreement.
Signature of the agreement was authorised.
122/21 Blackawton Cemetery
It was resolved to approve the alteration section 5.8 of the Cemetery Regulations to revert to the ICCM draft, which will allow interment of ashes directly by private individuals without use of a Funeral Director. The Clerk will implement and monitor a procedure to address risk management and to make the experience easier for individuals. Cllr Mewes will help to investigate purchase equipment to facilitate the digging of ashes burial plots in the cremation section of the cemetery.
123/21 Parish Online.
It was resolved to access a 30 day trial to the subscription mapping service.
- Community Hedge Fund open for winter planting applications from volunteer Tree Wardens and community groups for grants up to £2,500, Closes 8/8/21.
- Broadband Booster Scheme, Connecting Devon and Somerset, Businesses and households with poor indoor mobile £800 voucher for mobile signal booster from a registered scheme supplier.
Cllr Coe will raise with the Village Hall Committee.
- Citizens Advice South Hams, 28/6/21, Ways to Contact
- Devon Communities Together, Updating your Community Emergency Plan, Virtual Devon Community Resilience Forum event, 9/7/21
125/21 Reports from Parish Councillors and Wardens
Cllr Mewes reported there are dead cherry trees in the churchyard which need to be removed. He will notify the Church. The Clerk will try to add removal to tree works scheduled for 10 September. The Lychgate has been tidied and the species are being identified.
126/21 Next Meeting
It was confirmed that the next ordinary meeting of the Parish Council will be held on Tuesday 7 September 2021 at 7:30 p.m.
An Extraordinary Meeting is required to finalise the new Landscape Maintenance contract. Tuesday 15 July at 2:30p.m. was agreed, via Zoom to increase attendance.
127/21 Closure of the Meeting
It was not necessary to close the meeting because of the commercial-in-confidence nature of the Landscape Maintenance Contract.
128/21 Landscape Maintenance Contract
Consideration of the quotes received was deferred to the Meeting on 15 July 2021.