Approved Minutes 2021 June 08

Jun 22, 2021 | Delegated Decisions

The minutes can be downloaded here or read below  MN_2021_June BPC Approved Minutes

APPROVED Minutes of a Meeting of Blackawton Parish Council held on Tuesday 8 June 2021 at 7:30 p.m. using Zoom videoconferencing for the purpose of addressing Agenda items

The Clerk has been delegated authority to be instructed by the meeting.

Present: Cllrs Rake (Chair), Cllr Mewes (Vice-Chair), Coe, Mallyon, and Thomas were present, as were Devon County Cllr Brazil, South Hams District Cllr Reeve, A Thom (Clerk), and one member of the public.

Open Forum

  1. Strimming in the Churchyard

A parishioner discussed their disappointment at the strimming of oxide daisies growing in the churchyard and asked for alternatives such as stimming less and leaving wild areas to be considered.

BPC is working to balance biodiversity and aesthetics with practical maintenance. Changes might be made in the new contract from July 2021.

A site meeting at 19:30 on Thursday 24 June was agreed.

92/21    Apologies

Apologies for absence were received from Cllr Perry.

93/21    Declarations of Interest

Cllrs Rake and Thomas declared a personal interest in the Blackawton Business Units CIC.

94/21    COVID-19 Response

No comments made on the project to ensure that residents and visitors have access to support and information.

95/21    Report from South Hams District Council Councillor

SHDC Cllr Reeve reported that the new waste system has had problems. FCC needed to change the route, but the new crew doesn’t know the route. Cllr Reeve said SHDC has put some experienced waste Members with FCC to help resolve the problem. Delivery of boxes is now on hold for five weeks. This is the same recycling system which is already used across Devon. If necessary food waste can go into black bins. Cllr Reeve will follow up how holiday homes’ waste will be removed. If residents are experiencing issues with waste collections, please contact Cllr Reeve, with your contact details, and she will assist.

Cllr Coe said the recycling boxes have been delivered to French Furze.

96/21    Report from Devon County Council Councillor

Deferred pending Cllr Brazil joining the meeting.

97/21    Planning Applications

97/21.1 SHDC Planning Decisions

The following decisions were noted.

  • 0757/21/HHO Foxglove Barn Blackawton TQ9 7DG. Householder application for new timber garage to provide secure storage and parking. Conditional Approval
  • 2914/20/ARC Watsons Barn Park Lane Blackawton. Application for approval of details reserved by conditions 4, 5, 6, 8,9, 10, 11, 12 & 14 of planning consent 0620/19/FUL. Discharge of condition Approved.
  • 3494/20/NMM Development At Sx 8052 5109, Town Farm School Lane Blackawton Devon. Non material minor amendment to planning consents 06/0992/14/F and 0318/18/VAR to increase the size of the soakaway. Refusal
  • 0523/21/ARC Forder Barn Forder To Eastdown Blackawton Devon TQ9 7AL. Discharge of condition Approved.

98/21    Report from Devon County Council Councillor

Cllr Brazil reported that DCC has held its annual meeting. Cllr Brazil is again on the Children’s Scrutiny Committee, and the Devon and Somerset Fire Authority.

Cllr Brazil discussed a proposal to remove or change the 60mph Sign on Greenslade Road.

DCC Councillors can bring proposals to a Highway and Traffic Order Committee.

99/21    Planning Applications

99/21.1       Review of New Applications

  • 1413/21/FUL Newlands Farm Blackawton TQ9 7DR. Extension of existing agricultural building for dry storage. Neighbouring Parish consultee.

No comment.

  • For information. Relevant information needs to be submitted directly to SHDC:

1747/21/PDM Watson Barns Watson Farm Blackawton TQ9 7AZ. Application to determine if prior approval is required for proposed change of use of agricultural building to 3no. dwellinghouses (Class C3) and for associated operational development (Class Q(a+b)).

No comment.

100/21  Consultations

  • Local Authority Remote Meetings: Call For Evidence

Government consultation on use of the arrangements which have allowed local authorities to hold meetings remotely or in a hybrid format. Closes: 11:45pm 17 June 2021.

Cllr Rake commented that remote meetings are a useful option even in normal times, for example if weather prevents meeting in person.

It was agreed that the Clerk would respond supporting remote meetings.

  • Duty to Protect

Government consultation on a ‘protect duty’ relating to publicly accessible locations e.g. government offices, parks, and beaches and other public spaces. Closes 11.45pm 2 July 2021.

It was agreed that Cllrs can comment individually. No BPC comment.

101/21  60mph Sign on Greenslade Road

DCC Cllr Brazil requested BPC’s view on a proposal to remove the 60mph Sign or change it to a 20mph sign.

It was resolved unanimously to ask Cllr Brazil to pursue removal of the 60 mph sign, because there isn’t a reason for it to be there, the perception that increased speed is possible creates risk, it is on a bridleway network route, and the road is not safe for that speed of traffic.

102/21  Co-option of a Parish Councillor

There has not been a call for an election. The vacancy will be advertised in the School bulletin, a block advert in the Beacon requested for July and a front page advert in August, and a leaflet delivered to French Furze. Applications will close on 6 September.

103/21  French Furze Project

A site meeting with SHDC and DCC is planned for Friday 11 June.

The S106 agreement is between SHDC and Vistry. SHDC has not initiated contact with BPC.

104/21  Cousins Cross Pillar & Steps

The necessary maintenance works, at a cost of £220 + VAT, were noted.

105/21  Fraud Protection Training offer from South West Regional Organised Crime Unit

Inclusion of this training in the Annual Parish Meeting was suggested. The Clerk was also asked to post the resources on the community website.

106/21  Finance

106/21.1     Update on Current Financial Position

The report showed a total balance of £59,904.88 and unearmarked reserves of £14,772.13.

106/21.2     Payments Due

The meeting supported making the following payments:

  • Externiture, Bus shelter plastic, £24.05
  • Tindle Newspapers, Ground Maintenance Contract advert, £111.60
  • Kingsbridge Websites, Annual Hosting fee, 70.00
  • Payment by cheque of the quoted £120 for the replacement Cemetery gate.

107/21  Correspondence

The following correspondence was noted:

  • 8/5/21 Asking if there are plans to update electricity pylons at the back of the school
  • 6/5/21 Asking about removal of vegetation from churchyard wall with loss of habitat. Cllr Mewes is investigating if there are alternatives which meet BPC’s preventive maintenance requirement.

The Clerk was asked to request the contractor put further cutting on hold until after the site meeting on 24 June.

  • 3/6/21 Concerned that the strimming of the churchyard removed wildflowers.
    BPC is currently considering maintenance options.

108/21  Reports from Parish Councillors and Wardens

Cllr Rake noted the Parish Lengthsman’s report regarding digging out the drainage ditch by Bow Cross. Cllr Perry is following up with the landowner. Clerk to follow up the report made to DCC.

109/21  Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Parish Council will be held on Tuesday 6 July 2021 at 7:30 p.m.

It is planned to meet in the Village Hall. Cllrs and Clerk will do lateral flow tests.

Cllr Thomas gave his apologies for the meeting in advance.