Approved Minutes 2021 November 02

Nov 15, 2021 | Minutes

The minutes can be downloaded here or read below  MN_2021_November BPC Approved Minutes

APPROVED Minutes of the Monthly Meeting of Blackawton Parish Council held on Tuesday 2 November 2021 at 7:30p.m. in Blackawton Village Hall

COVID-19 precautions being taken by the meeting were noted.

Open Forum

No matters raised

Present: Councillors Rake (Chair), Mewes (Vice-Chair), Curry, Mallyon and Thomas were present, as were South Hams District Cllr Reeve, A Thom (Clerk), and three members of the public.

153/21  Apologies

Apologies for absence were received from Cllrs Coe and Perry, and Devon County Cllr Brazil.

154/21  Declarations of Interest

Cllrs Rake and Thomas declared a Personal Interest in the Blackawton Business Units CIC if relevant.

155/21  Minutes of Previous Meetings

The minutes of the Meeting held on 5 October 2021 were approved.

156/21  Review of New Applications

  • 3691/21/OPA Land Adjacent Two Gates Blackawton TQ9 7BL. Outline application with some matters reserved for construction of a single custom built dwelling.

This item was moved up the Agenda at the discretion of the Chair.

The applicant described the proposal.

Support (resolution proposed Cllr Mallyon and seconded Cllr Thomas).

157/21  Report from South Hams District Council Councillor

Cllr Reeve said that recycling is being sorted even if it is co-mixed at collection. SHDC Cllrs have been to view the processing. Green waste will not be collected before spring at earliest, depending on the availability of lorry drivers. Cllr Reeve has Locality Grant money to support green waste collections. Please report waste and recycling collection issues to Cllr Reeve who will assist in resolution. The climate change fund ends in March; £3,000 available. If not spent funds may be combined for a bigger project.

158/21  Report from Devon County Council Councillor

Deferred in the absence of Cllr Brazil.

159/21  Planning Issues

159/21.1           SHDC Planning Approvals/Refusals

The following decision was noted:

  • 2969/21/CLE Proposed Development at Sx 8074 5071 Blackawton TQ9 7BP. Certificate of lawfulness for existing commencement of development in accordance with planning consent 0969/19/VAR. Cert of Lawfulness (Existing) Certified.

159/21.2           Review of New Applications

  • 3583/21/CLE Higher Pasture Farm East Allington TQ9 7QA. Certificate of Lawfulness for existing use and erection of two agricultural barns without planning consent.

No comment.

160/21  French Furze Project

Cllr Reeve said that the expected report has not yet been received from Vistry. Tarmacking will be done over the next few days.

Cllr Mallyon said that trees have not been planted according to landscape specifications: neither planting method nor quantity.

161/21  Churchyard Grounds Maintenance Contract Specifications

Cllr Mallyon said that he has received some complaints about the cutting of the grass in the churchyard, the views being that they want it short all the time and that it is not an area suitable for rewilding. The request is that BPC go back to maintaining at the front.

The proposed change to maintenance specifications (frequent maintenance areas increased) was agreed with the alteration that one of the three biodiversity zone cuts will be in October (the September option removed). Cllrs suggested that the revised increased charges might now be an overestimate and hope the alternative mowing regime will help to mitigate cost. It was resolved to request a full cut in November with removal of cuttings on the new terms, £510, and on the basis of that extra information to ask the contractor to review pricing for BPC to review in the 14 December meeting, and that BPC will pay the invoice of £200 for the full cut done at the end of September. It was noted that the recent biodiversity zone cut in the Cemetery doesn’t have as high a standard of finish as the lawn memorial area.

162/21  Completion of Treeworks & Churchyard Cherry Management

Some treework has been done to remove deadwood from the avenue of cherry trees in the churchyard. The deadwood overhanging paths has been removed. The invoice for that work, with the proportion paid by Dittisham Parish Council for its works, was approved. There will be a cycle of removing cherry trees from the avenue and replanting. BPC will identify in the spring which to remove. There will be no new planting in the avenue of cherry trees this year. Cllr Mewes will arrange to place a second fruiting cherry on the avenue towards School Lane and will reclaim the related expense.

163/21  BPC Asset Maintenance

The work on a review of BPC’s assets was noted and the works suggested considered. It was agreed that BPC’s Maintenance Contractor will be asked to do the following work: in the Cemetery paint A4 noticeboard (leave white) and replace four slates/tiles on the shed, cut back vegetation at rear of Forces Cross Bus Shelters to keep clear about 50 cm, and to paint wood protector coat to the bench in the Cemetery, the noticeboard opposite The George Inn etc every second year in the spring, beginning in spring 2022.

It is hoped the same resident will replace the hanging basket on the Village Bus Shelter in the spring. BPC will reimburse costs if receipts are provided. Cllr Rake has now checked the War Memorial which is fine. Grit bins still need to be checked.

BPC is looking into work needed to the Cemetery’s vehicle gate. Repair is needed where one bottom rung has rusted through, and one top rung has rust damage. All gates on that side will then need to be cleaned, corrosion protected, and painted.

164/21  Phone Kiosk Project

The promotion of the project was deferred to the March 2022 Agenda, because of the current high prevalence of COVID-19 cases.

165/21  Remembrance Sunday Arrangements

It was agreed that Cllr Rake would represent BPC in the Remembrance Service. It was resolved to approve a donation of £25 to the Royal British Legion in lieu of a new wreath.

166/21  Annual Parish Meeting Arrangements

It was confirmed that the guest speakers will be the Regional Fraud Protect Advisor from the South West Regional Organised Crime Unit, followed by a Domestic Energy Efficiency Workshop. Cllr Mewes is arranging refreshments to follow – mulled wine and mince pies etc.

167/21  Communication with Residents

Cllr Rake offered to circulate his Beacon article a week before the submission deadline for Cllrs suggestions.

168/21  Slapton Line Monument Parish Council Maintenance Agreement

BPC support the goals and making contribution towards the maintenance cost in principle, but not the maintenance implementation as currently proposed in the draft Maintenance Agreement. Cllr Rake will respond to the Chair of Strete Parish Council.

169/21  Finance

169.1/21           Update on Current Financial Position

The Report showed a total balance of £61,428.34, unearmarked reserves of £17,516.73, and reconciled.

169.2/21           Payments

The following payments were approved:

  • Maintenance Contractor, Second wall clearance, bus shelter cleans, clearance around School staffroom wall, £628.00
  • Parish Online, Mapping Software 13/10/21 one year in advance, £58.80
  • Community Heartbeat Trust, Defibrillator Annual Support Agreement, £198.00
  • Dartmoor Tree Surgeons, Removal of deadwood from cherry trees, £332.40
  • Clerk, Expenses Reimbursement CE26, £78.32

169.3/21           Purchase of Right of Burial Certificate Book

It was resolved to approve the purchase (£110).

169.4/21           Clerk’s Overtime Claim

It was resolved to approve the claim for 20 hours over the period July-October 2021.

169.5/21           Annual Leave

The Clerk’s request for annual Leave 18 and 19 November, and to carry forward 5 days leave was approved.

170/21  Correspondence

The following correspondence was noted:

  • 25/10/21, Resident, Steep footpath on Washwalk Farm’s Land.

The outcome of this report needs to be followed up by BPC with DCC.

  • 20/10/21, Resident, Flooding in the village, Referred to DCC Cllr Brazil

171/21  Reports from Parish Councillors and Wardens

Cllrs Rake and Thomas commented on a new residents’ gathering they had attended in The George Inn.

172/21  Next Meeting

It was confirmed that the next meeting of the Parish Council will be held on Tuesday 14 December 2021 at 7:30 p.m.


The meeting closed at 21:59.